Internship at the EMODnet Secretariat
EMODnet Secretariat Internship
Junior Communication Officer - Secretariat of the European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODnet)
Start date: To be agreed, preferably June 2019
Duration: 4 to 6 months internship, with possibility of longer-term recruitment depending on performance and external funding
Working hours: Full time
Employer: Seascape Belgium
Location: EMODnet Secretariat Office, InnovOcean site, Wandelaarkaai 7, 8400 Oostende, Belgium
The Secretariat of the European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODnet), provided by Seascape Belgium, seeks to recruit an enthusiastic and motivated individual for an internship at the EMODnet Secretariat. This will focus contributing to the communication and outreach and wider promotional and organisational activities of EMODnet, including the European Atlas of the Seas (EAS). The incumbent would need to be located in Belgium (commuting distance to Oostende) for the duration of the internship.
Profile and competences required:
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline, preferably in marine science, public administration or communication. Junior candidates with limited work experience are welcome to apply;
- Excellent communication and writing skills. High standard of spoken and written English (working language). Knowledge of the local language (Dutch) would be an advantage;
- Good organisational skills with capacity to multitask, to deliver on allocated tasks and to set priorities;
- Knowledge of website content management (or willingness to learn) and of social media would be an asset;
- Strong interpersonal skills: able to work in a small multicultural team and able to report progress and issues in an effective manner internally;
- Understanding of marine science and/or the marine research and data landscape in Belgium and/or Europe would be useful.
Main tasks (under guidance and supervision of senior staff):
- Contribute to the promotion, communication and outreach activities of EMODnet and of the EAS. This will, among other tasks, involve drafting news items and distribute them through various channels, including newsletters, website and social media.
- Provide support for the organisation of key events and meetings such as the EMODnet Open Sea Lab hackathon 2019;
- Work with other members of the EMODnet Secretariat and Seascape in contributing to reports, minutes and deliverables, and assist with other duties, as required.
Conditions: trainee/internship based on the Flemish local scheme “BeroepsInlevingsStage” or BIS – for more information see https://www.vlaanderen.be/nl/werk/werk-zoeken/beroepsinlevingsstage-bis. Seascape Belgium will provide a subsistence allowance to the incumbent for the full duration of the internship.
Application procedure: written applications comprising a cover letter and CV should be submitted via email to email@example.com. The closing date/time for applications is 29 March 2019 at 17:00 CET.
For more information about EMODnet and this position contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +32 (0)59 34 14 27.
EMODnet is a long‐term marine data initiative from the European Commission's Directorate‐General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG MARE) underpinning its Marine Knowledge 2020 strategy. More information is available on the EMODnet central portal (https://emodnet.ec.europa.eu/en) and Maritime Forum (https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/maritimeforum/).
The EMODnet community is supported by a dedicated Secretariat based in Oostende (Belgium) administered by Seascape Belgium. The EMODnet Secretariat oversees the coordination and delivery of EMODnet, including the organization of events and communication with diverse stakeholders including the marine scientific and data management community, policy makers and maritime industry. Since 2017, the EMODnet Secretariat also oversees the maintenance and further development of the European Atlas of the Seas (https://ec.europa.eu/maritimeaffairs/atlas_en) which is powered by EMODnet and other key EU initiatives and bodies.