Marine Protected Areas
The objective is to analyse the existing network of the Baltic Sea Marine Protected Areas (MPA’s) in respect to:
- Categories of MPA’s according to the IUCN classification;
- Representativeness and coherence of the network according to Article 13 in the Marine Strategy Framework Directive
- Effects of climate change on the network.
Relevant data sets and data layers were gathered from
- EMODnet-Human, EMODnet-Habitat and other 5 lots if relevant.
- Eionet Central Data Repository,
- HELCOM Baltic Sea Protected Areas Database,
Specific data required for this challenge was collated from (inter)national projects.